Thursday, April 17, 2014

Intro: My initial thoughts on SES on health stability


     As a college student who is studying to be an upcoming nurse, health stability is always on my mind. To start the series of posts I will be relaying on the effects of a person's socioeconomic status on being healthy, I would like to put my thoughts about it first. How does one maintain health stability? Besides, nutrition, in terms of consuming the appropriate meals, I very much believe that a person's economic status could also be a huge factor in being able to maintain a person's overall health stability. I come from a family who is fortunate enough to have been able to periodically go to the doctor's and have a yearly physical. Every time I would feel under the weather as well as the rest of my family, we have the luxury of going to the doctor due to the beauty of insurance. Due to the annual physicals I have, the doctors are able to tell me whether I am healthy or not. However, what about those families who don't have the privilege to see a doctor? Now, I am taking out the people who are fortunate to have health benefits but refuse to take advantage of them. From using myself as an example, maintaining health stability is not a hardship but it could be for a lot of people. I have worked in many clinics and family practices and I hear stories about families who do not have insurance, so they just decide not to see a doctor even though it is very much necessary.
      Health benefits typically come from employers nowadays. Generally, the people who receive these health benefits could, assuming, be very well off. By "well off" I mean these people have graduated college and have great careers.. While those who have lower class jobs do not receive these health benefits mainly because they cannot afford them. Because the economy is experiencing an ongoing struggle, families from the lower class are unable to attain financial stability. Being secured in terms of finances is important because there could be emergencies such as, car breaking down, house maintenance, and of course, health issues. While some people are blessed enough to eat junk food everyday and still be considered healthy, there are a lot of people who must intake nutritious meals to maintain healthy. Everyone knows junk food is more cost-friendlier than nutritious food. Families who are financially unstable may turn to unhealthy meals in exchange of something healthier just to be able to make ends meet money wise. How are people going to maintain being healthy if they keep consuming "bad" food? Next question, hiow do people maintain health stability when they are not even able to maintain their finances? I, myself, wish had the answer to my own questions because I believe it is a problem that will continually rise. As a nursing student, promoting good health will always be a priority.


1 comment:

  1. I think a big problem with many people not just those of lower economic status but also those considered middle class is the fact that many people have no financial management skills. This should be taught in schools. I was not taught that in school but by several friends who had interests in finance. This year, I found out that my sister was required to take a finance course in our high school and I am proud that the school has imitated this program. Many kids don’t realize its importance and relevance to their lives. It is literally one of the most useful things a kid will learn in school and will prepare them for life’s financial endeavors.
    Another comment I wanted to make is on junk food. Contrary to popular belief, junk food is actually very, very expensive. I do not buy it myself because 1) it’s bad for my health, 2) it has no benefits, 3) it’s expensive, and 4) it’s a waste of my money. An additional beneficial course that should be taught in schools for both boys and girls is culinary arts. This is important because it is yet another useful skill to practice, considering we rely on eating for the rest of our lives. I understand that places that are organic such as Whole Foods are expensive but my point is not buying organic food but buying regular fruits and vegetables and not microwavable foods, packaged and processed foods, and best of all take out. The latter would definitely contribute to weight gain and considerable budgeting. This definitely needs to be taught to everyone, making your own food is the best way to stay fit and there are many different recipes out there. It does not imply that you have to slave away in the kitchen for hours on end.

    ReplyDelete